On February 1st, 2021, Rome re-entered the “yellow” status.
This means that museums and architectural sites are permitted to be open from Monday – Friday, but closed at the weekends. See special measures for visiting the Colosseum >
Additionally, the Vatican Museums are open from Monday – Saturday. See special measures for visiting the Vatican >
Despite the crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, there has never been a better time to visit the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill. You will have the place nearly to yourself: visitor numbers are strictly regulated by time slots.
Here are the new rules for visiting the Colosseum during the Covid-19 pandemic:
You must buy an advance ticket to the Colosseum
- The most important new rule is that you must book your ticket in advance. You may no longer line up to buy a ticket.
Colosseum/Forum/Palatine tickets have changed
- You will be issued a virtual ticket, which you must download to your smartphone.
- The virtual ticket is what will be scanned at the entrance.
- Visits to the “Hypogeum” basement level of the Colosseum are not currently available.
You must observe your entry time to the Colosseum strictly
- You must arrive fifteen minutes before your scheduled entry time to the Colosseum. If you miss the very short time-slot you have been allocated to start your visit, you will be denied entry. No ifs, no buts.
- However you do not need to make a reservation to enter the Forum/Palatine complex using the same ticket. Only one entrance to the Forum is open – and it is here.
- Your visit inside the Colosseum will take about 45 minutes.
The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine opening hours have changed
- The archaeological park is open every day of the week except Saturday. Opening hours are now: 10.30am – 4.30pm (last entry at 3.30pm)
You must observe strict health precautions while in the Colosseum
- You must wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose during your visit to the Colosseum. You may be expelled from the Colosseum if you break this rule, or even prosecuted.
- Your temperature will be taken at the door, and if it exceeds 37.5C (99.5F), you will be denied entry.
- You must wear a mask while entering the Forum area, but the requirement to wear a mask may be relaxed while in the open air parts of the Forum/Palatine area.
These rules are derived from the official Colosseum website and were correct at the time of writing. They will be updated as new information is posted.