Benvenuti! Italy is totally open to visitors
It’s back to the warm Italian welcome and business as usual.
You do not need any kind of vaccination certificate, test certificate, or “Green Pass” to enter the country. Nor do you need any kind of certificate to visit restaurants, museums, historical sites, etc.
Masks are no longer required to be worn on transportation or in public places (except medical facilities). Read more….
All sites in Rome are open but tickets for museums and other sites should still be booked in advance >
Despite the crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, there has never been a better time to visit the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill. You will have the place nearly to yourself: visitor numbers are strictly regulated by time slots.
Here are the new rules for visiting the Colosseum during the Covid-19 pandemic:
You must buy an advance ticket to the Colosseum
- The most important new rule is that you must book your ticket in advance. You may no longer line up to buy a ticket.
Colosseum/Forum/Palatine tickets have changed
- You will be issued a virtual ticket, which you must download to your smartphone.
- The virtual ticket is what will be scanned at the entrance.
- Visits to the “Hypogeum” basement level of the Colosseum are not currently available.
You must observe your entry time to the Colosseum strictly
- You must arrive fifteen minutes before your scheduled entry time to the Colosseum. If you miss the very short time-slot you have been allocated to start your visit, you will be denied entry. No ifs, no buts.
- However you do not need to make a reservation to enter the Forum/Palatine complex using the same ticket. Only one entrance to the Forum is open – and it is here.
- Your visit inside the Colosseum will take about 45 minutes.
The Colosseum/Forum/Palatine opening hours have changed
- The archaeological park is open every day of the week except Saturday. Opening hours are now: 10.30am – 4.30pm (last entry at 3.30pm)
You must observe strict health precautions while in the Colosseum
- You must wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose during your visit to the Colosseum. You may be expelled from the Colosseum if you break this rule, or even prosecuted.
- Your temperature will be taken at the door, and if it exceeds 37.5C (99.5F), you will be denied entry.
- You must wear a mask while entering the Forum area, but the requirement to wear a mask may be relaxed while in the open air parts of the Forum/Palatine area.
These rules are derived from the official Colosseum website and were correct at the time of writing. They will be updated as new information is posted.